First Name: Last Name:
Full Name:
Address:
City:
State/Zip:
Email:
Phone:
Free Gifts:
WHAT YOU GET

Get the facts about fertility

Learn about Fertibella

FertiBella helps overcome the 7 most common obstacles to having a baby.

Real moms share stories

Experience how FertiBella is changing the lives of women everywhere just like you. Watch their stories.

Your Name

Your Email

Tell us what makes you a good candidate for our TTC with FertiBella campaign (in 100 words or less).

Am I fertile? Tips to overcome infertility

writes:

Dr. Olivia Mapleton writes: When is a couple considered infertile? How long should you wait before starting to worry that there maybe something wrong with you? The answer is this: a couple who have had regular unprotected intercourse for a period of 12 months without a pregnancy occurring is considered to be infertile and may seek professional help. After 12 months of trying to conceive, 85% of couples should have conceived. The remaining 15% can be considered to have below-normal fertility. It is estimated that infertility affects 10-15% of couples. The truth is that there are many reasons why couples are suffering from infertility. Some are caused by male factor infertility (about 1/3 of all infertility), while others are caused by female factor infertility (about 1/3 of all infertility), and even more cases have factors that are unknown causing the inability to conceive. Most healthy women under the age of 30 shouldn't worry about infertility unless they've been trying to get pregnant for at least a year. At this point, women should talk to their doctors about a fertility evaluation. Men should also talk to their doctors if this much time has passed. In some cases, women should talk to their doctors sooner. Women in their 30s who've been trying to get pregnant for six months should speak to their doctors as soon as possible. A woman's chances of having a baby decrease rapidly every year after the age of 30. So getting a complete and timely fertility evaluation is especially important. Some health issues also increase the risk of fertility problems. So women with the following issues should speak to their doctors as soon as possible:
  • irregular periods or no menstrual periods
  • very painful periods
  • endometriosis
  • pelvic inflammatory disease
  • more than one miscarriage
No matter how old you are, it's always a good idea to talk to a doctor before you start trying to get pregnant. Doctors can help you prepare your body for a healthy baby. They can also answer questions on fertility and give tips on conceiving. Sometimes doctors can find the cause of a couple's infertility by doing a complete fertility evaluation. This process usually begins with physical exams and health and sexual histories. If there are no obvious problems, like poorly timed intercourse or absence of ovulation, tests will be needed. Finding the cause of infertility is often a long, complex and emotional process. It can take months for you and your doctor to complete all the needed exams and tests. So don't be alarmed if the problem is not found right away. For a man, doctors usually begin by testing his semen. They look at the number, shape, and movement of the sperm. Sometimes doctors also suggest testing the level of a man's hormones. For a woman, the first step in testing is to find out if she is ovulating each month. There are several ways to do this. A woman can track her ovulation at home by: recording changes in her morning body temperature (basal body temperature) for several months recording the texture of her cervical mucus for several months using a home ovulation test kit. Get 10 Free Ovulation Tests ($47.98 value). Doctors can also check if a woman is ovulating by doing blood tests and an ultrasound of the ovaries. If the woman is ovulating normally, more tests are needed. Some common tests of fertility in women include: Hysterosalpingography: In this test, doctors use x-rays to check for physical problems of the uterus and fallopian tubes. They start by injecting a special dye through the vagina into the uterus. This dye shows up on the x-ray. This allows the doctor to see if the dye moves normally through the uterus into the fallopian tubes. With these x-rays doctors can find blockages that may be causing infertility. Blockages can prevent the egg from moving from the fallopian tube to the uterus. Blockages can also keep the sperm from reaching the egg. Laparoscopy: During this surgery doctors use a tool called a laparoscope to see inside the abdomen. The doctor makes a small cut in the lower abdomen and inserts the laparoscope. Using the laparoscope, doctors check the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus for disease and physical problems. Doctors can usually find scarring and endometriosis by laparoscopy.